Friday, August 12, 2011

What's in a name?


"What's in a name? That which we call   a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet."  - Romeo and Juliet, William Shakespeare



Shakespeare's Juliet asks, "What's in a name?"  The answer is ... a lot.  Names are important.  Whether we like the name we were given or not, most people like to be called by name.

To my great dismay and frequent embarrassment,  I have a terrible memory for names.  I can be introduced to someone and not remember their name 15 minutes later.  Even worse, there are times when I can't remember the name of someone I have known for ages.  I'll see or think of someone and their name will stay stuck in my brain, floating just out of reach.  I don't know why I am so challenged by names.  My memory on the whole is not particularly poor and I really do want to consistently remember the names of people I meet.  After all, when you can call someone by name, it shows that you care about them.

I wish I were more like Kim, who works at my local McDonald's.  (Don't give me too much credit for remembering her name; she is wearing a name tag every time I see her.)  I go to McDonald's on my way to work almost every day and get a Diet Coke and Apple Dippers.  I also stop in every once in a while for lunch.  Kim is almost always there.  One day a couple of years ago, I had on my name tag from work.  Ever since that day, Kim has greeted me by my name every time she sees me.  I am so impressed by her!  She has the ability to brighten people's day just by saying their names.  How wonderful!

A person's name is a part of their identity and identity is closely connected to self-esteem.  When other people know our name and use it, it lets us know that we are important to them in some way.  So, in response to Juliet's query, a rose by any other name may smell as sweet, but it still won't thank you if you call it a dandelion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment. I would love to hear about what makes you happy or what you think of my blog! Where it says "Comment As", you can just click Name/URL and fill in your name. Thanks!